Part 3

Part Two (Reflection) v.2

30/01/18

Didn't show the clear progress and development of the corduroy project.  During the group critique, Said that they like my print samples, however, my Sketchbook was messy. And In the end, the source for the shape of the body was not clear. One sentence... I just need to show more development. They asked a lot of questions... Even tho I can answer them all... But it's not a good Sketchbook if the designer asked a lot of questions...

For the end of this project, the lesson I learn was,  rather than imagining the process in mind. It's better and more challenging to actually make a clear development Sketchbook. It's a clear visual communication.

When I realized, in my opinion, It was bit was a bit too late. That other person almost moves on to their portfolio preparation.

(The shape was inspired military suits from the Korean War.  However, I didn't put those research in the Sketchbook...)
Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 10.21.51.png

25/01/18

the tutor, after she saw my print sample, suggested that I should do a research on another abstract expressionist, (Mark Rothko).

- his work which is different from a lot of the abstract expressionist. the majority of that movement. the artist are more focus on visual elements (such as the uncontrollable way of working or just use the color that seems right (without conceptually thought) 

- Mark Rothko, which is different from other artists, his work is unique and stands out in the movement.. its seems to me and based on my research. focus more on the emotions of the whole piece. Rather focus on the only color... 

its better for me to accept that movement. since it was the movement that was created in New York City because, in their opinion, their world no longer seems logical because of the war. and why their art have to make sense? (um...)

I choose this movement because it's directly related to the War elements I wanted to explore. 

13/01/18 - 15/01/18

were asked to bring 10 items that are in the same color palette...three primary-colors, monochrome...

Were ask to place the items together as a group (was red for me) and define meanings to the color. 

red got some not that positive meanings at first.... such as communist...violence...but if we think of different cultures...red can meaning something positive.

Tutor mentioned that color would look different when combining with another color. We tried to place our items together outdoor with the "blue" group and "yellow" group. 

(Monday)

did a print workshop, we were asked to make a pattern and cut it. I tried the similar effect as Jackson pollock. however, when I tried to make a sample. I made a mistake or accident happened...(When I tried to apply ink to the cut sample, the roller was mixed with different ink and printed on the paper. (I liked the color combination, in the end, its something that you can't know the result until you finished applying the ink to paper. 20180118_115829.jpg20180118_115832.jpg20180118_115740.jpg

12/01/18

the collage workshop...

were ask to bring images 

The first one was using two images only, subtract elements in each picture and combine both together. By placing the images together

Another method found useful is to add elements (ex.markmaking, paper, materials) to one image, the additional materials will change the meaning to the original photograph. I like how the tutor said we are only allowed to use one image, because I often add too much images on one page, so that some pictures are pointless and way too much going on...

10/01/18

Went to the library to do research on the corduroy's history.

- originally, the fabric was for children. However due to the war. Corduroy became a material for the Soldier. 

- wanted to focus on the relationship between the corduroy and children. however. I did more research on the war elements. (and in the end, focus on the Korean War.) went to the library and printed some of the pages of the Korean war, tried to print those pages with the figures on...

10/01/18

The Color workshop might just help me to create a clear storyline in my visual process.

Tried to perfectly match colors from a singular research image proved to be challenging.

but picking the color is a skill for my future projects because the image I chose for my initial colors were scrapped because it was being forced into the project when it did not need to be......

07/01/18

- When I got the corduroy project and found some corduroy samples, I made some observational drawings based on the corduroy elements(continuous line.., and since I got the project brief in class. and I don't have my computer with me. I have to use the fabric sample that the school provided. 

- Currently, I am feeling a bit lost in my own research but I believe it needs to continue in order for an actual, more clarified concept...

20180108_111247.jpg

20180108_111315.jpg
20180108_111349.jpg

28/12/17

White, an inherently positive color, is associated with purity, virginity, innocence, light, goodness, heaven, safety, brilliance, illumination, understanding, cleanliness, faith, beginnings, sterility, spirituality, possibility, humility, sincerity, protection, softness, and perfection.

The color white can represent a successful beginning. In heraldry, white depicts faith and purity. As the opposite of black, movies, books, print media, and television typically depict the good guy in white and the bad guy in black.

The color of snow, white is often used to represent coolness and simplicity. White’s association with cleanliness and sterility is often seen in hospitals, medical centers, and laboratories to communicate safety. The color white is also associated with low-fat foods and dairy products.

To the human eye, white is a bright and brilliant color that can cause headaches. In cases of extremely bright light, the color white can even be blinding.

26/12/17

Continuing to do the "White" concept, I did a collaged a page with images of Historical images. 

made some samples that made the white stand out

Accidentally, I dropped some water on to my college. And suddenly, the color of the images started to fade out because the images are printed by an ink-jet printer. At first, it was only the top layer that fades out, later, the ink from the first layer permeated into the next layer and then each layer has changed color. I thought that "color changing" could be an interesting concept to continue exploring. 

21/12/17

Went to museums do to some color researchers.

went back to the library to research more about different artist's way of work for color.

went back to the brief just want to make sure that my research is staying on track, and looked at the final requirements of the project.

came to the conclusion that I would want to explore more about my Korean culture? (white is often used a lot in Korean culture...)

Text

12/12/17

Based on the feedback during progress tutorials with my tutor, I agree need more research ( more useful, personal and meaningful research to link more elements and samples on to the body.

Less is more...

tried not to be too complicated. show exactly what you like to see ( the message )which was color.

liked the idea of using some erotic images and only use the shape of those images.

have to finish it...

04/12/17

had a small talk with Tutor and classmates..about my work and Idea. Since already had some research pages, observational drawings as well as a few illustrations.

they suggested me to focus on areas of the body. 

focus on the shape of samples, and tried on the body. something new.

Did more figurative drawings with the body. 

Text

• went back to the research I did earlier. 
  • decided to do more research on Erotic and a bit sexual elements. (Since, my main character, in the play, she was flirting with the female guest's husband... and the flirting was the main part of the show.)
  • Since I am not comfortable or used to do research on erotic elements, I think its better for me to find some symbolic elements of erotic. 
  • flower growing( shape was similar to genitalia...)
  • made different samples based on the new research.
  • did more observational drawings... with the new shapes...
  • also found a artist, Bob Mizer... an erotic photographer and filmmaker that was mainly focused on same-sex male erotic elements... 

30/11/17

• Since my main characters are wearing different colors that are so identical individually. I decided to focus on colors. 
  • Learned new techniques of making textiles..(knitting and weaving techniques.)
  • used the new techniques I learned, made several samples, tried to focus on color, Pink, and Blue.
  • also brought the different type of materials to create textiles. 
  • asked to take some photography on figures with the samples we made. 
  • tutors said my samples are really colorful. (easy to know which color I tried to focus on.)

25/11/17

• My fruit machine was Abigail’s Party.
  • first performed at the theatre and played at the television on 1977. 
  • its a suburban situation comedy. 
  • it's about new Britain’s middle classes tastes. 
  • did a lot character’s inner personalities and their characteristic. 
  • Also did several observational drawings based on the show(Abigail's party) I saw…
  • A lot of talking…made a almost fall asleep…

23/11/2017

• Decided to focus on my observational drawings I did with the locations we asked for to visit. Also, researched more about the artist and the significant elements of Yayoi Kusama’s art. which is dots…(or circles)…
  • Combined the two elements (colors and the dots) created serious of samples.
  • Mainly used the colored papers I got, rather than using the images she provided.  

16/11/2017

• Went to the Hackney Wick with my partner for the new project, Culture Swap.
  • It was developed for 2012 London Olympic games. lots of modern-industrial architectures. However, the atmosphere is dead. 
  • Hackney Wick can be divided to two parts. One is more industrials feeling. However, it got the dead feeling.
  • Another part is more old-fashioned, but the street art made that area a unique soul.  
  • My partner has multicultural backgrounds. Italian, a bit of Swedish and she loves Japanese art.

20/11/2017

• Switched images with my partner about our culture and explained to each other why those images are important to our cultures. 
  • She gave me one of the Prada campaign fashion shoots. and her uncle’s art and her favorite artist, who is a Japanese, Yayoi Kusama. Who is famous to create infinite dots. 
  • made a serious of collages based on the limited information I have with her cultures.  
  • Decided to focus on my observational drawings I did with the locations we asked for to visit. Also, the significant elements of Yayoi Kusama’s art. which is dots…(or circles)…